Girl Scouts began in the Dallas area in 1920 – starting with only two troops of girls. Girl Scouts of the USA chartered the Dallas council in 1924. In the same year, Ms. R.M. Hammond donated 20 acres of land and Mr. Alex Sanger donated 13 acres of land to form a camp for girls in southwest Dallas.
1926 The Kiwanis Club building a lodge and bath house on the camp property and the property was named “Camp Kiwanis”.
1927 The Kiwanis Club built the first pool and first version of Tanglewood unit on the camp property.
1930 The Dallas Girl Scout Council bought another 13 acres of property at the camp, bringing the total acreage including some leased acres from Dallas Community Chest to 53 acres.
1950 The site was renamed Camp Whispering Cedars.
1954 Tents were replaced with cabins for Cedar Lodge and Glen Oaks and cabins were also built to replace old units at Tanglewood.
1963 The Dallas Council and Chisholm Trail Council merged to form the Tejas Council.
1975 Camp Whispering Cedars was refurbished.
1991 Tejas Lodge was rebuilt after the building was destroyed by a fire.
2007 Tejas Council, Cross Timbers Council and Red River Council merged to become Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas (GSNETX).
2010 Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas entered into a master property plan. It was determined that Camp Whispering Cedars had exceeded its usable lifespan. Simultaneously, Texas Instruments approached GSNETX with a problem – there wouldn’t be enough women to enter the STEM pipeline by 2020. The idea for The STEM Center of Excellence was born.
Acreage formerly leased by council from Dallas Community Chest in the 1930’s was purchased by GSNETX from their successor organization since 1959, Communities Foundation of Texas.
2013 GSNETX purchased approximately 36 acres of adjacent property from the Kirby family, bringing the property up to 88 total acres
2016 GSNETX purchased four acres of adjacent property from the LaBarbera family, creating the 92 acre STEM Center of Excellence we have today. The first two buildings opened on the new property – The Rees-Jones Welcome Center and The Hoglund Foundation Program Center. Shortly thereafter, we celebrated the opening of The Boone Family Foundation Courtyard.
2017 Construction continued on The STEM Center of Excellence.
2018 The Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas opened The STEM Center of Excellence at Camp Whispering Cedars in May. GSNETX now serves more than 25,000 girls across a 32 county region.